ISO Environmental Health & Safety certificationPosted: February 24 2020
Port of Waterford has successfully achieved certification for ISO 14001 (Environment) and ISO 45001 (Health & Safety) from Ireland's National Standards body, NSAI.
ISO 14001 Environmental Management System (EMS) is a systematic framework to manage the immediate and long term environmental impacts of an organisation’s products, services and processes. By obtaining ISO 14001 certification, we work with stakeholders to ensure our environmental management system meets international industry specific environmental standards.
On a practical level, the company actively manages its energy, waste and water consumption and has received EcoMerit certification. We are an active partner with the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland, SEAI. As part of this process, various projects are being undertaken to monitor and reduce consumption.
ISO 14001 environmental certification provides a framework for environmental management helps us:
- Minimise our environmental footprint
- Diminish the risk of pollution incidents
- Provide operational improvements
- Ensure compliance with relevant environmental legislation, and
- Develop our business in a sustainable manner
Health & Safety:
ISO 45001 is an International Standard that specifies requirements for an occupational health and safety (OH&S) management system, with guidance for its use, to enable an organisation to proactively improve its OH&S performance in preventing injury and ill-health. Port of Waterford has actively managed according to OHSAS 18001 which has new ISO 45001 standard,
Port of Waterford through its safety management system commits to:
- Continual Improvement
- Be compliant with current legislation
- Be compliant with other safety requirements
- Have processes and procedures in place to actively prevent ill health, injury to employees, subcontractors and members of the public.
- Regular consultation with all employees and encourages employee participation with all aspects of the safety management system